Thursday, September 6, 2012

Not your Grandmama's Meatloaf, Sort of.

I love meatloaf, but sometimes it is too, what's the word? Greasy, fatty, has no flavor? Ok so that's more than a word, but it's true. I had to change my eating habits when I was teenager, not that they were horrible to begin with and I was raised eating food that was exceptionally good for me, but I had to really watch my fat intake and read the labels even more so than we already were. So Turkey Meatloaf came about. I found that I actually like using ground turkey in place of ground round, it's not as greasy. So here is my version of a classic, comfort food.

Turkey Meatloaf

1 Package Jenni-O or Foster Farms Ground Turkey 93/7 fat content
Dried Parsley
1/2 an Onion, finely minced or a palm full Dried Minced Onion
2 cloves Garlic, made into a paste or 1 Tbls Garlic Powder
Ketchup
Soy Sauce
BBQ Sauce
Hot Sauce, Tapatio if you can find, if not any will do
Bread Crumbs
S&P, tt
21 Herb Seasoning mix, (opt) 

Preheat oven to 375F
Plop the turkey into a large bowl, sprinkle with about 2 Tbls parsley, herb seasoning if you have it, onion, garlic, a couple good squirts of ketchup, a few dashes soy sauce, a couple good glugs of bbq sauce, a few dashes hot sauce and a handful, to start of breadcrumbs.
With clean hands, get in there and mix it up, if mixture feels too wet add more breadcrumbs. It should feel just a touch sticky and everything should be well incorporated.  If to dry add more ketchup and bbq sauce.
Form into a loaf, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just helps when you put it into a loaf pan.
Once in the loaf pan form it so it looks neat and even on all sides. Now with your finger, make an indentation down the middle of the loaf. Pour in some ketchup and bbq sauce and swirl it around to mix the two up. Sprinkle the top with S&P and a bit of breadcrumbs. 
Bake for about 45 minutes, but check in half and hour or so. Test with a thermometer, if it reads 155F, you are good to go. Pull it out and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Serve any side you like, I happen to love it with Au Gratin Potato's and a green veggie like broccoli or zucchini. Brown rice is good with it too. Happy cooking my friends and remember to keep it homemade!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment