Thursday, June 15, 2017

Healthy Eating

Hello All!

I've been really trying watch what I eat and get in regular workouts. Turing 36 was, well a turning point. Metabolism slows and my metabolism wasn't the greatest to begin with. Plus with two broken bones over a two year span...it totally put a crimp in my style. Haha!
Image result for fringe
Joshua Jackson! Oh yeah!
But after some hard work and better eating I'm down in weight and things that were a snug fit now wonderfully fit again. A gym membership and a  trip to Europe with a lot and I mean 20,000 steps a day kind of walking, I feel fantastic(but that's fantastic news! Ehm, Fringe and Walter, yes I'm a SyFy geek)!
 
Indulgence with Churros con chocolate












Now I do still indulge, but for the most part I stick to a 1300-1400 calorie diet and yes I eat carbs, lol. It's the healthy carbs, whole wheat, fiber, oatmeal, brown rice. I eat a lot of veggies. And, gulp, I gave up dairy, pretty much completely. That's right folks no milk or butter and very very little cheese. I do still have the occasional little bit on my tacos or if there's a scrumptious cheese platter, I was in Spain and France after all. ;-) 

Now for my healthy eating, I eat oatmeal pretty much every morning, I mix it up with what I put in it. I'm even known to put cocoa powder and nut butter in it. Fruit is a good way to go too. I'll mix it up with an egg or a rice cake topped with goodies. Lunch is a lean protein or veggie pattie with raw veggies and a whole wheat something or another, usually from Trader Joes. I also make my own nut cheeze, https://sareneefood.blogspot.com/2017/01/cashew-mozzarella-cheeze-it-actually.html there's the link, you're welcome. I don't make this one all the time, but opt for soaking whatever nuts i'm using over night and then blitz em down in a blender with nutritional yeast, salt and a touch of vinegar.
Dinner is a similar affair to lunch and sometimes I'll bulk up what I eat for lunch and eat a later lunch and then a small snack for dinner.

Here is what my breakfast's look like, I'll even give ya the recipes.

Image may contain: food and indoor
Rice Cake topped with Peanut Butter and Blueberries
Recipe Number One: Rice Cake Breakfast

1 Brown Rice Cake, lightly salted (I got mine from Sprouts)
2 tsp. Peanut Butter, but you can use whatever you like, I love Almond Butter
1/4 Cup Blueberries, sliced in half
6 oz of Almond Milk

Spread the Nut Butter onto the rice cake, then top with the berries. The Almond Milk is for extra protein and calcium, drink up. How simple is that!? 


Recipe Number Two: Oatmeal
No this is not one I made, but hey I was in London and this is similar to how I make it and I don't have a pic of mine. oooh green juice (insert homer sound)
I do have a previous Oatmeal recipe here on my blog, but I've changed it up a bit. i.e. no dairy and another type of sweetener.

1/2 Cup Oatmeal, whatever kind you like
1 Cup of Water
1/4-1/2 Cup Almond or Dairy-Free Milk
Sweetener can be what you like, I use honey or jam, if I'm using fruit to sweeten I opt for dates or a quarter of a  banana, if I'm using a nut butter and it's not sweet enough I'll add a touch of honey or the banana again. With berries that can be tricky, if they're not sweet enough or too tart I'll just add in what I feel I need for it to be a little sweeter 

Take your oatmeal and add it to the pan with your water. Turn heat to medium and let it come up to a boil, then turn down the heat to low, stirring every so often, if using a banana slice thin and add it at this point, let it simmer until thick and creamy looking about 6-7 min. Add in the milk, depending on how loose or thick you like it will depend on how much milk you want to add, stir to combine and let simmer for another minute. Add in your sweetener and whatever other fruit or spices like cocoa powder or cinnamon, Yum! And there ya have it a nice healthy breakfast to keep ya going.
Happy Cooking my friends and remember to keep it Healthy and Homemade!

No comments:

Post a Comment