Thursday, October 4, 2012

Farmer's Market in So Cal

If you've read my Ode to Kale II I made mention of the farmer's market. I love it!! I would live there if I could, I love it so much. Luckily there is one that isn't too far from my house, so home I shall stay. LOL! Since I am all about supporting our local farmer's and eating a well balanced diet, this is a match made in heaven. Take note of the lovely plate of fresh, farm picked strawberries and it's technically Fall in good ol' So Cal. Who doesn't want to take a big ol' bite of these sweet oh so delectable berries? No cooking necessary, isn't that even better, just wash and eat. A quick snack with no effort.
As I wandered down the aisle I came across an Afghan food stall. That is what I love about the farmer's market here it has a variety of ethnic foods to choose from and they are usually homemade with very little additives. Hooray!! Snacks I don't feel guilty eating. 

Spinach Bolani with Garlic-Mint Cheese, Sweet Jalapeno Jelly, Cilantro Pesto and Cucumber
Doesn't that look amazing! We came across this little stand about a year ago around Christmas and brought them as hors d' ouvres to the family Christmas party. It was a smash! They have several types of stuffed flat-breads which they call bolani. Pumpkin, Spinach, Lentil and Potato. All of them are excellent, but my favorites are the Pumpkin and Spinach; best of all they have no sat. fat and only 17g of carbs per serving. Then there is the Garlic-Mint Cheese, it kind of reminds me of greek yogurt, both in it's consistancy and taste, although it's not as tart and the mint cuts through the richness of the cheese. The Sweet Jalapeno Jelly is spicy and sweet and would make shoe leather taste good. Yep that's right, it's that good. As for the Cilantro Pesto, it takes Cilantro and makes it pop with flavor, if you like Cilantro this is a must try! The Cucumber is just that, a cucumber, I prefer the ones with small seeds and a thin peeling which is why I recommend, Japanese, Persian or English Hot House ones. Now take all of these lovely amazing dips and slather all over the bolani. Bam! Another amazing mid afternoon snack or pair it with a protein and you've got yourself one lip-smacking lunch.


http://www.bolaniandsauce.com/html/About.html

Here is the website if you want to try them for yourself. I would highly recommend it!
It may not be homemade, but if you can get stuff like this I say go for it! Otherwise, say it with me; happy cooking my friends and remember to keep it homemade.



No comments:

Post a Comment