Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Weekend "Cooking"

Weekends are always busy for me, but it's a fun time and usually involves some good food. I did not go homemade over the weekend, but isn't it nice to let someone else do the cooking once in awhile? I think so too! When I don't cook for myself, I do still try to watch what I eat out there. For instance, if I am craving a burger In n Out is my go to. I get there burger sans the cheese, since the cheese is what contains the fat, both trans and saturated. To get some of the gooiness that the cheese leaves out I get it with grilled onions and yes I do get the sauce. I don't miss the cheese at all and I love cheese. The Habit is another good place to get a good burger and they put grilled onions on automatically and they have sweet potato fries. Anywhere else you get a burger it's Trouble, with a capital T.(yes right here in River City, ok sorry I was channeling my love of musicals.) I was good, up until dinner and I totally fell of the "healthy wagon" if you please. I had a Digornio Garlic Bread pizza, with no veggies in sight. Eeek! I did pick off the pepperoni though, ha like that counts! Then sat and watched OTH re-runs (yes I am shaking my head at myself.)  For brunch the next day my bestie and I split a Chinese Chicken Salad from Cheesecake Factory, word to the wise, get about half the dressing, but still have them toss it for ya, I like my salad lightly dressed and this time it was a bit much, and I fell off the "healthy wagon" again and split a piece of Oreo Cheesecake; we justified it with salad. For dinner I had one turkey hot dog(the kind with no additives or preservatives, read your labels please, it makes all the difference in what you buy) from Oscar Meyer, and cooked some tri-color pasta the kind with the veggies in it and only cooked the amount per serving, plus threw in some veggies. Here's the recipe for it. Happy cooking my friends and remember to keep it homemade( at least during the week, weekends are good for cheating). By the way I do not own the rights to any of the aforementioned eating establishments or Oscar Meyer or Oreo, I don't want to get sued for using there names. LOL!

Hot Dog Stir Fry

One Oscar Meyer Turkey Hot Dog(sans preservatives)
One Cob of Corn
2 oz Tri-Color Pasta
1/4 C Frozen Veggies
2 Slices of Tomato
Spray Olive Oil
Hot Sauce
S&P or Garlic Salt

Slice the hot dog on the bias(at an angle). Set aside.
Shuck the corn and slice off the kernels. Set with hot dogs.
Chop the tomato into small chunks.
If you have a wok I would recommend using that, if not that's ok, use a nice sized saute pan.
In your wok/pan bring a good amount of salted water, a few drops of hot sauce(however much you like) and the corn cob, to a boil.
When at a rolling boil remove the corn cob and throw in the pasta and tomato,  let cook until pasta is al dente. Drain, spray wok/pan with oil and put the pasta back into the wok/pan along with the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle with garlic salt if you have it, if not the S&P is fine. Let cook until veggies and hot dog are heated through. There ya have it a nice quick dish you can feel good about eating. If you can't find corn on the cob, feel free to use frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment